Friday, January 11, 2008

Reality

As everyone knows the housing market is WAY DOWN. And when that happens it effects a lot of companies. The company I work for has been effected by this decline. We were told that things would get slow and they did some layoffs late 2007 of some management in our company and we were told things look to be better in the future. Then after Christmas they started to ask us to take volunteer time off with the help of the Shared Work Program through the Unemployment office here in MN. I have been using that this past week. Hoping it would look good and that with others doing the same we would not have to worry about our jobs being in jeopardy. So, instead of working 4 10hour days I worked 4 8hour days this week.
Wednesday I went home at 2pm and yesterday when I got to work in the morning I was informed by one of the other employees that they have laid off 12+ people that I worked with on the floor. I was in awe. My stomach was doing flips and my heart was racing. I felt bad for those who were let go but, was very happy that it was not me. Now, moving I will be running a machine that requires 2 people to run by my self and doing all the other work that I need to do. I can only hope that this is the end of the lay offs.

Other news, Jim will be having surgery at the end of this month. The doctor has decided to put a metal plate in his arm to help and fix the break after the surgery he will be out of work for another 6 weeks and then we will be back to a 2 income household again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you are secure. Know you are all in my prayers daily. Hope Jim will be clicken soon.

Dad.Dadio's.Pops

Anonymous said...

I sure am glad to haer you are still working. Hope everything goes well for Jim, give him my best.Ilove you guys Aunt Janet

Kelli said...

I'm glad to hear your job is secure. What a scary time for everyone
Hugs,
Kelli