Saturday, January 26, 2008

Round Robin Challenge : Landmarks

Welcome to my rendition of Landmarks. Please check out the other Robin's.
I of course could not decide on landmarks so I choose to put up two of them.
First we have Big Ole. He greets visitors in Alexandria, MN The two angels at his feet are my children
Here for the second we have the historic Chisago county court house that now resides at the Aulmund Threshing show grounds. It was moved from its original sight to it new home to preserve it.



The woman coming down the stairs of the courthouse had received her marriage license in this building in the 30's. Thanks for stopping by and see you at the next challange.
**just to note I have tried to comment on those who have AOL journal and am unable to comment. Sorry. But they all look great.
Sarah

10 comments:

Carly said...

Hi Charish :)

What great examples of landmarks. I love those oversized statues, and have always wanted to see one in person. We have one that's kind of big where I live, but nowhere near as tall as that one. It's great to see it. :)

Always, Carly

Sandcastle Momma said...

That Viking is too cool. I also love the photos of the old courthouse. Being a history buff I just love seeing those old buildings. And you are welcome to come on down and visit us whenever you're ready!

Molly said...

I like Big Ole. Those oversized statues always give an interesting flavor to a community. I am glad that they found a way to preserve the old courthouse.

Pamela said...

Hey!! The kids really put the Viking in perspective (size)

Now the woman coming down the stairs would have been a delightful interview.

Karen Funk Blocher said...

I love Big Ole - not sure about that "birthplace of America" claim, though. How does that work? Interesting old courthouse, too, with the windows curved at the top like that. And how cool that you got a little piece of living history, too, meeting the woman who visited the same building over 70 years ago!

Sandy said...

My very favorite uncle was my Uncle Ole. He used to share his peppermint schnapps with us kids in the morning!

The courthouse is also terrific and so is the way you figured out how to let the aol'ers that you weren't ignoring them. I'm gonna borrow that if I may.

Thanks.

Gattina said...

Wow, that's really a big ole' Wiking, lol !

Kiva said...

Big Ole is fantastic, as are the kids. Apparently, I'm not of this world because I never heard of the Kensington Runestone. I'm going to google it right now.

Sandra said...

Is it just me, or does everyone want to look up Ole's skirt? LOL. I love these kind of historical "markers". Thanks for sharing. oh, and love the newer blog of sleeping sick kids and Brit the cuddle dog. Animals seem to know when we don't feel well...

Anonymous said...

Great photos!
Martha ~ http://journals.aol.com/lifes2odd/perception/