Saturday, March 29, 2008

How Does this Work?

I have ranted before about or child support system here in my state but now I even have a bigger question. how does the foster care program work? The reason I ask this question is because my daughters father and his wife now have a foster daughter. AGH.
So, I went to the website for the requirements to be a foster parent to see how this happened.
Here is what it says:
You must:
live in Anoka County
be at least 21-years-old, financially stable and responsible
(but do not have to pay support)
have appropriate sleeping space (make own daughter sleep on couch when she visits)
There must be enough bedrooms for everyone.
Foster children can share a bedroom with a child of the same sex, if the room is large enough. (own child unable to share room with foster child)
They cannot share a bedroom with an adult or a child of the opposite sex.
complete an application for foster care
allow Anoka County to complete a criminal history background check on all household members who are 13-years-old or older
live in a home or apartment that meets fire safety code
abide by a “No Corporal Punishment” rule
be available to transport children to visitations and medical appointments
provide the County with three personal references
participate in a home study that includes interviews with all household members (tell own child it was there fault the first time they did not get a child because they were not there for interview(stepmother said))
attend on-going training (12 hours annually for each adult in the household)

You may:
be single or married
rent or own your home
already have children in your home (have own child just can not take care of)
work full- or part-time, depending on the foster child’s age and needs
I understand that there are children out there that need people to help take care of them but when I hear I can not work I am blind and so on and so forth from him and then learn that he is more than capable of taking on a foster child and being a parent there I just wonder HOW? The thing that hurts the most is how Britt feels that she is being asked over just to watch the foster kid. And now they are telling her that this child is calling them mom and dad and that they plan on adopting this child. I feel so bad for my daughter. Yes I know I do not have to let her go over and see him but I have always made it her choice. She wants to see her father. Not live with him but visiting him is fine she says. She goes because she knows that she will be coming home soon.

1 comment:

Sandcastle Momma said...

It's incredible to think that he qualifies as a foster parent when he obviously sucks as a "real" parent. Hopefully your daughter will realize these are his shortcomings and not hers. I never have understood how any man could not support his child. I have a friend who's ex has never paid child support and after a 5 year battle she ended up having him thrown in jail for not paying. She got some satisfaction from that but of course he can't pay now because he's in jail. It seems to be a no win situation.