Saturday, October 27, 2007

In Their Shoes

Yesterday was a day that made me think back on my childhood and realize my parents did love me and were not out to make my life hell. When I was told I could not do something because of my grades or my behavior. ( I now see why ). I always remember them saying we do this because we love you.
My oldest has been having issues with her grades , getting to class on time, and some attitude issues.
So, last night there was a dance at the school for 7th and 8th grader and she had asked last week if she could go. I told her that I would be sending a form to the school the Friday of the Dance and asking all the teachers if Brittany has been doing and turning in her work. ( this is also been going on for our newest child also Amber she is temporarily staying with us to help her with some of her issues) Now Brittany needed to get one of her teachers to still sign hers so she missed the bus so taxi mom had to pick her up. I spoke with the asst. principal and she said thing were going much better.
Now when I looked that the report she had 3out of 5 assignments missing in one class and 3 out of 7 in another class. When I saw she was missing assignments she was told because of the agreement she would not be going to the dance. Boy, oh boy did I see myself back in the day.(sorry mom and dad). I looked at her and said your really mad at me right now and I know it because I used to do the same things. Explained what I did and almost got a smile out of her. Now, here is the problem Amber did all her work and earned the right to go to the dance. Now, I did inform them that if one did not get a good report then the one who had a good report will be going and the other will not. So, now I was a really bad mom in Brittany's eyes. (today things are back to normal). So, here I was in their shoes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such a sad story in so many ways. First, that Brittany couldn't go to the dance - honey you had full control over whether you would be going, all you had to do is to your school work, that is your job. You need to do your schoolwork to the best of your ability. Second, that it takes so long for my own child to learn that parents aren't the enemy. I love you both.....
Brittany, you have an opportunity here, get to work and get the school stuff turned in and keep up with that so in the future these things aren't an issue and you will know you can go. Grandma believes in you, you can do this, and if you have a problem you need to ask for help. We don't know you can't understand something if you don't tell someone. I love you forever sweetheart.

Anonymous said...

Sarah, The old saying "What goes around comes around"
Brittany, It is so much easier to do the work, get rewarded both by learning and excelling as a young person. Go Brittany Go !
Put your heart into it you will be overwhelmed with the results of success.
Love ya all
Grandpa mike

Anita said...

Dear Sarah,

I just signed your guest book and it seems that I am the only one from outside the US (so far)... ;-))

Congratulations on your new cell phone, it looks very pretty!

Best wishes from Germany,
Anita