Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Never Thought it Would happen Here

I guess I have been living in my own imaginary bubble. In hopes that I would never be one of those parent who had to go to a meeting at the school because of Level 3 Sex Offender was moving in my area. When I first heard it my heart skipped a beat. To find out this predator is living so close to where my kids go to school is heart wrenching. And then to find out that he preys on young girls around the age of 13 makes me even more worried. During the meeting we found out he is a repeat offended and that he is no longer under supervision. WHAT!!!!!! Because he served his time he does not have to report in. All he has to do is register with the police department and have the community have a meeting about him. When it comes to things like this I really feel if you screw up once shame on you but if we let you out and you do it again shame on us. You are to go to jail and stay there till you time on this planet is up. I feel very strongly about this. This is a man who has hurt young girls. And must not learned anything while in jail the first time. He has been sent back to prison over 5 times because of not registering and using and having illegal substances.
Then come to find out we have 20 registered offenders in town. The town only has 1200 people in it. I will be doing lots of research tonite.

1 comment:

Sandcastle Momma said...

I don't think sex offenders should ever get a second chance. I don't think they can be rehabilitated at all and I totally agree - send them to jail forever. I think it's great that there was a community meeting letting everyone know. We don't have that here. They have to register but no one tells us they're here. One day last summer I saw a car stop at my mailbox and leave something in it so I walked out to see what it was. It was a flyer with 13 faces on it. There are 13 convicted offenders living here in town. Their names, addresses and crimes were printed next to them and the flyer said the woman who left it thought we all had the right to know about these guys - what they look like and where they live. I was stunned to see that there were 7 - yes 7- convicted sex offenders living within 1 mile of my house. WITHIN A MILE! They practically formed a circle all the way around my street. We were blown away! We found out that one of them was convicted when he was 18 for getting his 17 year old girlfriend pregnant and her dad had him convicted. As soon as he got out and she was 18 they moved here and now have 3 kids, are much older and he seems to be a normal guy. (I don't agree with that conviction - that's kids being kids and messing around and I think it's horrible to lable him for the rest of his life)The others however are real sex offenders who should have been castrated and left to rot in prison. The flyer gave the Florida registered sex offenders website address and I watch it like a hawk. 3 of the men have been rearrested so we're down to 3 living near us. They've since passed a law saying that sex offenders can't live within one mile of a school and we're within a mile so we shouldn't have any more moving in - but the ones already here can stay. I see those 3 men sometimes, at the grocery store and around town. My kids have super close boundaries and I watch them like a hawk because of these guys. I've also made them memorize these men's faces and told them that if they ever see them to run as fast as they can away even if the men aren't trying to talk to them. There is nothing worse than a person who messes with children. Personally I think that instead of jail they should be taken out behind the jail and shot. Congratulations to your city for having a meeting and warning every one!